Tuesday, September 23, 2014

May 2014









https://www.flickr.com/photos/paullight/13981745245/

This Month's Photograph
I took this photograph using an all-weather camera in Hollywood, Florida. It was one of those early spring days when the air was warm, but not oppressively so. I knew it would rain off and on, so I decided to carry a camera that would allow me to continue shooting whether it was raining or not. Although I try to avoid extreme weather, I always want to be outside making photographs, day and night.

Photo Compositing
I began photo compositing in 2006 after becoming disappointed at the resolution I was getting with digital cameras. Prior to that, my primary camera had been a 4x5 field camera. I found that photo compositing allowed me to use a small digital camera and achieve the resolution I wanted. This month's photograph is an example. It was done using the Calico app, a licensed version of the Autostitch. I have also done photo compositing with Adobe Photoshop.

New iBook
My first iBook, "Autostiched 1.0," is now available on iTunes for $4.99. The book contains 45 photographs created with the photo compositing techniques described above. I am currently working on an iBook featuring my night photographs.

Upcoming Classes
In September I will be offering the following  3-credit classes through Middlesex Community College in Bedford, MA. Each class is weekly and runs through mid-December.

Photography 1 > Wednesdays
Digital Photography > Thursdays
Digital Photography > Fridays

Notable Websites

http://www.timgrey.com/
I'm not really sure when I received my first free daily "Ask Tim Grey eNewsletter," but now I look forward to it each morning. Tim offers one of the most comprehensive services for learning about digital photography currently available, including workshops, a magazine, a podcast, and videos.

http://www.zhangkechun.com/the-yellow-river/
I know so little about China, yet I watch this country becoming part of the daily news cycle. In a way, Zhang Kechun's road trips along the Yellow River remind me of the cross country trips taken by Robert Frank and Stephen Shore. These photographs pull me in with their dreamlike quality.






No comments:

Post a Comment